This week, somebody turned on the switch for fall weather. It’s wet, rainy, rumors of snow in the mountains on Facebook pages, and it’s dark in the morning for the 5:30 AM CrossFit Catacombs class. While many are dreading the short days and cold temps, here at Kling Mountain Guides were are as excited as ever for the snow to start flying! The KMG inbox is starting to fill with requests for ski trips and avalanche courses.
After competing my Workout of the Day (WOD to all you CrossFiters out there) and allowing my heart rate to drop I started to think that CrossFit is not only great training for the ski season to come, but that backcountry skiing is just like Crossfit!
Workout of the Day–October 20, 2015
5 rounds for time of:
225/155-lb. Deadlifts, 10 reps
75/55-lb. Snatches, 10 reps
10 Handstand push-ups
75/55-lb. Snatches, 10 reps
The only difference is there is a little more Type 1 fun with backcountry skiing….Hear me out….
1) CrossFit, like backcountry skiing, is a community. You build bonds and friendships with the people you CrossFit with, and you build memories and friendships with those you ski with.
2) Like Crossfit, backcountry skiing is accessible to all ages and abilities (as long as you are willing to work at it)
3) You tend to breath really hard right after the workout. See pictures below.
But when you are done, YOU. ARE. PSYCHED! (click the link for some high altitude powder skiing)
4) Even conditions are not the best, it’s still skiing! Just like CrossFit, even if it’s not your favorite workout in the end you are still pretty psyched to have done it.
5) A Certified Coach will take your workout to the next level. You could complete a workout on your own, but having a trained and certified CrossFit coach goes a long way. All of the guides at Kling Mountain Guides have gone through training and certification from the American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA). KMG is the only guide service in Durango that adheres to these standards. The AMGA is the premier source for training, credentials,and services for professional mountain guides and climbing instructors in the United States. It is the only organization in the sole US representative to to International Federation of Mountain Guides Association (IFMGA). When you ski and climb with one of KMG’s AMGA Certified Guides, you can rest assured that your guide has undergone strenuous training and examination from an outside party to the international standards for mountain and ski guiding.
There is only one real CrossFit and there is only one AMGA. There are other organizations that have surfaced, but we always recommend climbing and skiing with an AMGA Certified or IFMGA guide.
6) Sometimes your nervous before hand: Just like before a big CrossFit WOD, sometimes you are a little nervous before dropping into a big ski line.
7) After the WOD/Ski you are tired, sweaty, sore, and SO EXCITED FOR THE NEXT ONE!
For information on putting together a custom ski trip this winter, please get in touch or say hi at the gym!